Monday, June 11, 2007

life thus far.

My first week at Pali View has come to an end, and it already feels like I have been here for a while. Which I believe to be a good thing, I don't want the moments here to pass by too fast. We have had so many experiences in only 7 days, it is kind of crazy. We have learned so much about the culture, the people, their daily life that is nothing like the vacation brochures describe. We have eaten interesting food, which still makes me nervous and we have more yet to come...Ashley and I have gotten to know each other a little better, it's amazing how you put two people together sharing a room/working together/off days together and they just get to know each other pretty fast. We have had our first encounters with the youth. They are different than "typical youth" yet they are "typical youth" they are very reserved with us and offer their trust little by little, they stare at the floor when we ask questions and you could hear the faintest pin drop when they are asked to pray...yet they are so diverse, with such rich culture. I am excited to learn more about them one on one. I wonder how it will be, will they really cherish our times or am I just another person?...I hope to have an impact, but I hope to be impacted. The older members of the church are great, so welcoming...we have met a lady named Melissa who is about 35 with four kids all under the age of 5, she is amazing. She has really welcomed us, and we are working with her for children's church. We have seen some beautiful and amazing places, we found a beach one day about 10 minutes from our house, that truly was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Seriously. Amazing. I hope to go a lot, but we have a lot to do :)...I am learning so much in the process of all these events...I am learning that things really only happen through prayer, and I am learning that if these youth are to get anything out of this summer it is through God alone, I am really realizing how lonely people are and how they just need love, they need to be heard....we have done a lot of listening. :) I am learning patience and immediacy at the same time...I am learning that God is into building relationships and doing things the not so efficient way...I am learning a lot...I hope to be stretched even more, though it scares me to ask for that!!
Prayer requests:
relationships with church members/ashley/janet/erin & brent/the youth....
to meet and reach those that are in the community and not just those in the church
that the youth would have an awakening
that i would have an awakening....

I love you all, thank you so much for reading this, and praying with me.
Kara